First post here - sorry if it's in the wrong place!  Wouldn't consider
myself an audiophile but I like good sound.

Been using max2play for years, connected via a £6 USB sound card with
optical out to my old Yamaha AVR, streaming Deezer.  I thought 'digital
is digital' and I'd be getting the most out of my setup.  I then got an
Xbox one and connected it to my AVR also by optical and when I tried the
xbox Deezer app, the sound difference was night and day.  Was that the
dirty clock I heard with the Pi?!

So I'm upgrading my system to a more modern AVR (Arcam SR250), new
speakers and want to get the most of it.  I have a collection of FLAC I
haevn't heard in years, some of it high-res.  I've seen the likes of the
Allo boards, but what's the HDMI like on the Pi3?  I gather it can
output/carry PCM 24/192 but will I experience jitter?  Is there any
benefit to the add on boards?

Thanks!