Tapani_Rikknen:
> This must be my ignorance but compiling new kernel (in a debian way with =
>
> make-kpkg) with aufs patch gives me following error messages:
        :::
> include/linux/aufs_type.h:40:2: error: #error unknown =
>
> CONFIG_AUFS_BRANCH_MAX value
> fs/aufs/module.c:292:5: warning: "AUFS_BRANCH_MAX" is not defined

Assuming your 'aufs patch' means 'aufs CVS tree on sourceforge', how did
you configure/compile it? Just 'make -f local.mk'?

> (didn't get any extra info with 'aufs debugging feature' enabled)

Do you mean that you enabled CONFIG_AUFS_DEBUG? It is for run-time, not
compile-time.

> My original problem is the same as someone has described in the message:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-knoppix/2007/02/msg00014.html
> And in my own message:
> http://knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3D26812

Will you try ls(1) or something just after mounting aufs, in order to
make sure,
- aufs is loaded correctly
- aufs is mounted correctly
- you can access mounted aufs correctly
- are there any messages left in your syslog or something?

I read both of the URLs and know that you did 'make -f local.mk.'
On my test environment, I use plain linux-2.6.20. I will try
linux-2.6.21-rc1 in a few weeks.

> I can compile aufs module fine but it don't work in my remastered =
>
> Knoppix 5.1.1  (giving segmentation fault message during boot process or =

Which process aborts with segmentation fault?

> I would prefer patching kernel tree directly with aufs patch than =
>
> compiling it afterwards  (make -f local.mk), if it could be possible.

Did you try 'make -f locak.mk kconfig'?

> -    Unionfs is going to be included on vanilla 2.6.21 from kernel.org =
>
> (if I'm right); what about aufs?

Currently I have no such plan.

> -    Can aufs be used with realtime preemption kernel =
>
> (http://people.redhat.com/mingo/realtime-preempt/)? Should aufs work on =
>
> liveCD with -rt patched kernel (I never succeeded with unionfs)?

Although I have never tried this patch, I will try someday, probably far
future...

Junjiro Okajima