"Marty Rosenberg":
>  Sorry if I didn't say what I was using.  for the battery of tests I did, I
> used a vanilla kernel, and I dind't have the unionfs module compiled at all.
> It was the aufs module that was built by piggybacking into the kernel's make
> structure.

Now your environment is,
- vanilla 2.6.19 kernel
- aufs 20070312 (20070319?)
- seven xfs branches with 773,950 files total
- ls(1) and find(1) show you crazy inode info
- after crazy inode, aufs crashes by BUG at vdir.c:605

I will try it again on my local environment, if you have another thing
which is related to this problem, please let me know.

Junjiro Okajima