Hi,

yesterday I'm running in an (old) problem - with unionfs I get the same
effect in the following szenario:

- Samba is installed on a live cdrom for authentication of squid against an
  active directory.
- the critical point is the directory /var/lib/samba/winbindd_privileged.
  It is on the readonly branch (cdrom) and with the following permissions:

  drwxr-x--- 2 root root 4096 May 15 20:06 winbindd_privileged

- Calling ntlm_auth (for AD authentication) from squid needs

  drwxr-x--- 2 root proxy

  so I only changed the group ownership and restarted all relevant
  processes.

It won't work. I don't know why, but squid seems to get always the
group ownership from the read only branch. Starting ntlm_auth with su -c
works as expected (may be there is a difference between real and effective
group id - but this should not occur).

For a workaround I moved winbindd_privileged to winbindd_privileged.x and
created a new directory winbindd_privileged with correct group ownership.
Now it works. I believe renaming this way was not possible with unionfs ;-)

Did the aufs code differentiate between  effective and real user/group
ownership? Or is changing permissions of the read only layer a problem in
general?

-> aufs 20070514 with the latest patch (manually added) we discussed to
days ago, kernel 2.6.21.1 <-

Wolfgang
--
<wob (at) swobspace de> * http://www.swobspace.de