Hi,

Just gave aufs 20071015 a test and had some difficulties:

I am runnig a RHEL kernel (2.6.18 plus lots of patches).
AUFS is configured:

CONFIG_AUFS=m
# CONFIG_AUFS_FAKE_DM is not set
CONFIG_AUFS_BRANCH_MAX_127=y
# CONFIG_AUFS_BRANCH_MAX_511 is not set
# CONFIG_AUFS_BRANCH_MAX_1023 is not set
# CONFIG_AUFS_BRANCH_MAX_32767 is not set
CONFIG_AUFS_SYSAUFS=y
# CONFIG_AUFS_HINOTIFY is not set
# CONFIG_AUFS_EXPORT is not set
# CONFIG_AUFS_ROBR is not set
# CONFIG_AUFS_DLGT is not set
# CONFIG_AUFS_RR_SQUASHFS is not set
CONFIG_AUFS_KSIZE_PATCH=y
# CONFIG_AUFS_WORKAROUND_FUSE is not set
# CONFIG_AUFS_DEBUG is not set
# CONFIG_AUFS_COMPAT is not set
CONFIG_AUFS_LHASH_PATCH=y

Root is a readonly nfs v3 mount.  To create writeable version and
pivot to it, I run:

mount -n -t tmpfs none /writeable
mount -n -t aufs -o br:/writeable=rw:/=ro none /mnt

When running aufs 20070702, this results in writeable root I can pivot to.

When running aufs 20070910, the result is the same.

However 20071015 results in lots of question marks when doing ls -l
on files in /mnt, zero modes, etc.

I did not dig any deeper than this but though I would mention it.

Jim