I'm currently creating a live linux distribution (to be used with
USB-flash-drives) using aufs. I have 3 layers:

* a squashfs-base-layer containing the OS itself

* an ext2-layer (within an image file) containing all changes made by the user

* a ramdisk containing all changes made in the current session

I have a script the copies down all files from the ramdisk-layer to the
image-file-layer and then tries to remove the files from the ramdisk-layer. As
long as no files are kept open everything works fine.

I check all files whether they are opened or not before removing them from the
ramdisk-layer. It seems that I must not remove any file within a directory if
only a single file within that directory is kept open - otherwise I end up with
an empty directory (seen by aufs - in the layers everything looks fine). This
is
definitely *not* a problem with whiteout-files.)

I used the "udb=reval" and "udb=inotify" options - but without success. And
worse, sometimes I (logically) lose files even when I make all those checks.

Any ideas?

Thanx in advance,

Michael