Jordi Pujol:
> a breakpoint is done by some code into the boot script, that tests if one=20
> cheatcode is set, and therefore stops the program and brings the user into =
> the=20
> shell command mode,

I see.
Strictly speaking, the script didn't stop. It just invoked an
interactive shell.

> > But you succeeded "mkdir -p /root/lnet" just after mounting /root
> > (aufs), didn't you?
> yes, it creates new files, but fails when modifying them,

Ok, you want to edit a file in aufs from the interactive shell.
Assuming the file exist in the squashfs, let's test aufs step by step.

$ touch /the/file
  it should copyup the file from squashfs to tmpfs.

$ mv /the/file /the/file2
  it emulates rename(2) in vi(1).

If any of these command doesn't work correctly, then send me the output
of strace please.
Also you have written about an error of cat(1), send me the output of
"strace cat /the/file" too.

J. R. Okajima