On 08/20/2010 12:30 AM, sf...@users.sourceforge.net wrote:
> Lou Gosselin:
>
>> Thanks for responding.
>> I agree that normally mount syscalls don't bother telling us anything
>> about what's causing them to block.
>> Let me counter that by saying this process<->parition lock ambiguity is
>> unique to aufs.
>>
> Agreed.
> So aufs prints additional info at remounting.

Yes, but it lacks sufficient information to identify the exact
process(es) blocking the operation.
> Of course lsof can show the processes.
> What I want to say is to show pid is out of FS's business, because you
> wrote "If it output the process id(s) which caused it to fail it would
> be perfect"

I'm really not partial to a specific mechanism, that was a continuation
from your previous suggestion.

>> As far as I am aware, normal filesystems have no exceptions; one can
>> always determine the exact processes locking a specific device (/dev/loop0)
>>
> As I wrote before, there are several complicated cases to make FS busy
> even other than aufs. Try inotify on ext2 or something. It surely makes
> your FS busy and unmount-able, but lsof cannot show about it.

I have tried this already from a prior email. Your right lsof doesn't
show it, but on the other hand inotify does not appear to lock the file
system in the first place. Or at least I haven't been able to produce
such a scenario. Just now I tested ext2+inotify and was able to unmount
it without issue.

> In such case, if you know well all of your processes, then you will be
> able to find that the inotify is the cause.
> And such knowledge will be effective for aufs too, I think. In other
> words, if you know your processes, then the output from aufs remount
> will be enough for you, won't it?
>
> If you mean that to get system log is hard, then I'd suggest you to
> customize /etc/syslog.conf or something.

I'm not sure where our communication is breaking down.
Surely you must be getting tired of me by now, but it's difficult for me
to get closure without a strait forward answer to these questions:

1) Is there a foolproof mechanism (outside of debug) to determine the
exact processes locking a specific device/branch under aufs?

2) If not, should there be such a mechanism?

3) If not, do you agree this condition is unique to aufs, or can you
produce a scenario where a normal linux fs or device can be locked by an
unknown process?

Thanks,

Lou Gosselin