Hello Karl,

Karl Semich:
> - 3 layers of +wh under the rw layer on top
> - Bottom layer has folder A with files inside it
> - Second-to-bottom layer has a whiteout deleting folder A on bottom layer
> - Second-to-top layer has folder A recreated with files inside it
> - Go into rw top mount, remove all files from A.  Works fine.
> - Rmdir A.  Immediately reappears containing the files again.

Let me make sure.
- /u = /rwTOP + /ro+whONE + /ro+whMID + /ro+whBOT
- /ro+whBOT/dirA exists with its children
- /ro+whMID/.wh.dirA exists
- /ro+whONE/dirA exists with its children
- both of /rwTOP/dirA and /rwTOP/.wh.dirA don't exist
Right?

Here trying 'rmdir /u/dirA' should fail with ENOTEMPTY.

Or do you mean
- both of /rwTOP/dirA and /rwTOP/.wh.dirA don't exist
is wrong and
- /rwTOP/dirA exists with its children
- by-passing aufs 'rm /rwTOP/dirA/*' executed
is correct?
If so, did you try 'udba=notify'?

Next time when you post, please provide these info.

(from aufs README file)
When you have any problems or strange behaviour in aufs, please let me
know with:
- /proc/mounts (instead of the output of mount(8))
- /sys/module/aufs/*
- /sys/fs/aufs/* (if you have them)
- /debug/aufs/* (if you have them)
- linux kernel version
  if your kernel is not plain, for example modified by distributor,
  the url where i can download its source is necessary too.
- aufs version which was printed at loading the module or booting the
  system, instead of the date you downloaded.
- configuration (define/undefine CONFIG_AUFS_xxx)
- kernel configuration or /proc/config.gz (if you have it)
- behaviour which you think to be incorrect
- actual operation, reproducible one is better
- mailto: aufs-users at lists.sourceforge.net

J. R. Okajima