Tony Lewis:
> Thanks. I pulled the latest version from the standalone git repo, and
> checked out the latest 4.9 version (20180409 from memory). It compiled
> using DKMS and got loaded.
>
> But the problem still persisted. I don't know if you're interested in
> debugging further, I can help a bit before my server goes operational.
> Let me know. It might be a problem with the Debian kernel or with aufs.

The second fix I wrote in my previous mail,
> > 2.
        :::
> > - fix
> >    f2474d8 2018-02-08 aufs: for v4.10, XINO(read) handles EINTR from the
> > dying process

is for v4.10-rc7 and later. Aufs4.9 (for linux-v4.9.0) doesn't have it.

As described in the commit log, the problem was born by the commit in
mainline linux-v4.10-rc7,
        5abf186 2017-02-03 mm, fs: check for fatal signals in
do_generic_file_read()

Your kernel is debian v9(stretch) linux-image-4.9.0-6-amd64
(4.9.82-1+deb9u3) or something, right?
Linux-v4.9 series backported the commit 5abf186 by the linux-v4.9.9.
So your kernel contains the commit which causes the problem, but aufs4.9
doesn't have the commit to fix it.

In other words, I should release a new branch "aufs4.9.9+" for
linux-v4.9.9 and later, and it should contain the backported commit
f2474d8.

The version numbers and the commit-id s may make you confused, but I
hope I could make myself clear.

I will create and release aufs4.9.9+ branch in next week.

J. R. Okajima