Hi, this thread were discussed in the history, so I think is time to
clarify and put the correct information to the wiki. (Actually on the
recent TU application and sunjdk package).

IIRC:

a) Maintainer tag in PKGBUILD is just use for people who maintain the
binary package generated by this PKGBUILD on official repositories
(core, extra, community*), and the people with abilities to do this
are TU and Devs.

b) Contributor tag is for people who upload the PKGBUILD for first
time or is maintaining it at this time.

But sometimes this is hard to apply, for example I adopted an orphan
PKGBUILD on AUR and I decided to update it and maintain it, what I
should have to do:

1.- Should I remove the past contributor and add myself as a Contributor?
2.- Should I keep all the contributor list even if they are more than
4 different people (4 lines more to the PKGBUILD)
3.- Add myself to the maintainer tag?

IMO I will use the second option, to keep all the contributor list,
maybe tomorrow I won't be able to contribute with this PKGBUILD but it
will be nice, to the future owners of these PKGBUILD to know who
maintained before them. But maybe we will have a long list of
contributors, so, it would be nice to discuss an idea to have tags for
maintainers of PKGBUILD with have a binary and contributors of
PKGBUILDs, as I said, i would like to improve a method to apply the
second idea.

Please try to don't flame the ideas, try to propose new ones, or
improve the exposed by me.

Regards

Note:

* Many people should disagree with the idea about "community" and
"official repo", IMO if community it's enabled by default on pacman,
community became official, no matter what the history was...

--
Angel Velásquez
angvp @ irc.freenode.net