I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but here's my take:

- Maintainer: The person who currently maintains a package.
- Contributor: The person who first submitted the package. If a
package is so badly constructed that it needs to be rewritten from
scratch, the contributor tag would only list the person who did the
rewrite.

I know we've agreed on multiple contributor tags, but I believe the
method detailed above is cleaner, more maintainable and more
straight-forward. I'll most likely adopt it for my own packages, but
I'm not saying that anyone else should.

I would say that we should hold a voting to make a final decision.
However, it's not an important issue at all, so the current way of
doing things (multiple contributor lines) is sufficient.