On 29/05/10 04:49, Sebastian Schwarz wrote:
On 2010-05-28 at 19:38 +0200, Philipp Überbacher wrote:
That's why I defaulted to "master", but I get the following error:
fatal: git checkout: branch master already exists

It works, but I need some input on whether and how the default case
can be handled more gracefully.

There isn't really a need to create a new branch if you just
want to do a checkout.  Simply change

     git checkout --track -b  ${_gitbranch} origin/${_gitbranch}

in http://pastebin.com/deqgqjJe to

     git checkout origin/${_gitbranch}

See the amendment of the paste at http://pastebin.com/C8sC7wAe

I have been using this for my makepkg-git package for ages:

  if [ -d $_gitname ] ; then
    cd $_gitname && git pull origin working
    msg "The local files are updated."
  else
    git clone $_gitroot
    cd $_gitname && git checkout origin/working
  fi

Seems to work...

Allan