I've rewritten the inspircd package so that file ownership is assigned in
the .install file.

Thanks for reviving the thread. :) I too think useradd and groupadd in .install is the way to go, as I said in the first post. This has always worked for my packages well. Just inspircd, an adopted package, had it the other way and I wanted to ask the people on ML why.

inspircd fails to start via systemd

I will surely have a look. I use this package on three production machines, but maybe something broke in the meantime? I don't know. I will also reuse your PKGBUILD. Thanks.

Should this go to the AUR guidelines?

--
Kind regards,
Damian Nowak