On 2021-05-17 21:16, Carsten Haitzler via aur-general wrote:
On Mon, 17 May 2021 13:32:26 +0000 lawl via aur-general
<aur-general@lists.archlinux.org> said:

Hello

I'm the developer of NoiseTorch (https://github.com/lawl/NoiseTorch/).
I faithfully believe that the package "noisetorch" in the ArchLinux User
Repository ("AUR") (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/noisetorch/) violates
my license (GPLv3).

I have the asked previous maintainer of this package to not apply patches or
make it clear that this is a fork that's being conveyed. Several Arch Linux
trusted users were also informed of this:
https://github.com/lawl/NoiseTorch/issues/2#issuecomment-785262068

I am just looking at the AUR repository for this right now. It has no patches.
It does not modify anything from the original. It builds the original with
standard go tooling and options available in that toolchain (not modifications
to your software) and then packages up the resulting build. The only addition
is ADDING a .desktop file to that package archive to make it easier to run the
application. This does not modify the software. So by your quotes below it meets
the license requirements. I don't know what was in the AUR pkg repo before but
it certainly seems to be fine now.

For anyone else wondering what the fuss is all about, this is a long-running bout of drama stirred up by the developer of Noisetorch [1]. They are hostile and will not be reasoned with, unfortunately.

We are under no obligation to listen to these demands as we do not distribute the software and only supply a build script for which a user may build their own package. Kowtowing to this petulance will hardly solve the problem long-term as it is clear that *any* packages not made by the developer are treated with hostility.

But I guess hashworks has already extended the olive branch; We'll have to see whether that's enough...

[1] https://github.com/lawl/NoiseTorch/issues/2#issuecomment-785262068