On 2022-02-07 16:07, Brett Cornwall via aur-general wrote:
On 2022-02-07 13:33, Ben Denhartog via aur-general wrote:
- buildozer

This seems to not use the AUR bazelisk package for building, but a
release from github? Why doesn't it use the AUR package?

I like to keep things simple for users. For AUR packages, that means trying to
avoid depending on other AUR packages, as in my experience, most utilities that
people use cannot resolve them, especially if they are building in a chroot.

It's more important to be correct than convenient. Downloading the builder is not appropriate here.

I myself try to avoid using "advanced" (or hard to read) bash in
PKGBUILDs such as here
https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/tree/PKGBUILD?h=buildozer#n44

Perhaps it is because I use parameter substitution in shell scripts regularly,
I don't find that to be particularly hard to read. I understand that it could
cause users who are not familiar with parameter substitution to scratch their
heads, though, and think that's a fair comment and something that could be
changed.

This is not a matter of understanding but of readability. I'm with Ben here: It's better to be clear than clever.

Do you have any response to these statements? I'm curious to hear your thoughts.