Hi all,

My name is Bert Peters, or bertptrs on IRC and various other places,
and I'm applying to become a package maintainer for Arch Linux. My
application is sponsored by Christian Heusel (gromit) and Jakub
Klinkovský (lahwaacz).

I started using Linux in 2011 as I started my degree in Computer
Science with OpenSuse as that happened to be installed on the computers
in the lab, but soon moved to Ubuntu and, after a few false starts in
2014, moved to Arch at the tail end of 2015 by spending most of 33C3
getting things to work just the way I like it and never looked at
anything else. Ever since, I've been using it as my daily driver,
though I'm also using other distros professionally, currently mainly
Ubuntu.

Professionally I work as a DevOps engineer, mostly writing yaml, bash,
and Python, occasionally wrangling Nix and Ubuntu, and doing packaging
for the latter two. I've also previously done RPM packaging for CentOS
when I managed my university's data science lab servers.

Privately I'm a big fan of Rust, which I moderate the unofficial
channels (##rust, ##rust-offtopic) for on Libera, and I dabble in Ruby
because once upon a time I made the decision to write my website in
Jekyll. On that website, I try to write the kind tech blog articles
that I like to read, explaining a varying collection of things I
happened to find interesting at the time.

As for existing Arch involvement, I have long been maintaining packages
in the AUR, and have been a tester for the last few years. All AUR
packages I currently maintain (and that have needed an upgrade
somewhere in the last three years) I keep in a Git repository [1] which
I manage with aurpublish. I very recently discovered pkgctl how useful
pkctl can be, so I started implementing nvchecker recently to automate
the maintenance further. My github profile is also a decent record I
have of OSS work I did.

In the time I spend away from keyboard, I do bouldering a lot and I
have been teaching windsurfing for the past 15 years.

If I were to be voted in as a Package Maintainer, I'd like to move the
following packages to \[extra\]:

- cargo-cache
- jekyll (and deps)
- python-plotly

In addition, I looked over what current orphans I have installed and I
feel confident I know enough about the following to adopt them, though
I'm open to more suggestions.

- java-commons-lang
- libvdpau
- lsb-release

I'd also like to help out as a co-maintainer on packages I previously
maintained in the AUR that have since been adopted into [extra]:

- cargo-geiger
- cargo-license
- nix
- nlohmann-json
- spotifyd
- rust (previously maintained rust-src which was merged into it)
- various ruby packages

and while I'm at it, I'd like to help out with the Ruby packaging in
general, to bring it up to date with Ruby 3.2 and figure out a
consistent way to handle Ruby's propensity for very tight version
bounds.

With that, I hope to have given you a good introduction of myself and
my work, where I intend to start packaging, and that there's a good
starting point for discussion. Thanks for reading!

Bert.

P.s. To get ahead of one question, no, the ptrs in my nickname are
unrelated to pointers; I got this nickname before I knew what those
were. It's just my name with vowels removed.

[1]: https://github.com/bertptrs/aur