The issue here is that upstream is effectively unmaintained so this version has
patches for known bugs. (Patches have been submitted upstream with reproducers
over the past decade, but upstream remains generally non-responsive unless
cornered in the hallway at a conference.) These can be rebased on a new
upstream version, but that takes some coordination and is normally done after
upstream releases rather than random point commits. The workaround (if the bugs
don't affect you) is to use parmetis-git.

Unfortunately, extra/metis is now incompatible. One fix would be to create a
new metis51 required by parmetis (and parmetis-mpich) though we'd either have
to make it provide metis or change the library name, which I think also
requires build system patches. I've been busy to implement (and test) that
solution, but simply making parmetis track git without the PETSc team's patch
suite will cause breakage.