On 29 April 2024 20:16:54 GMT+02:00, Dan Johansen <danjohan...@strits.dk> wrote:

>Den 29.04.2024 kl. 20.09 skrev not...@aur.archlinux.org:
>> MarsSeed [1] filed a deletion request for widevine [2]:
>>
>> Re-filing a deletion request due to not receiving any response [a] as
>> to the rationale to keep this duplicate of the properly packaged
>> AUR/chromium-widevine. [b]
>>
>> The AUR/widevine package was created with the sole purpose of offering
>> ARM support, and x86_64 was only added to mask its intent.
>>
>> Also I believe it is not okay to create duplicates on AUR when there
>> is already a maintained package which works with Arch Linux.
>> AUR/widevine's maintainer should collaborate with that of
>> AUR/chromium-widevine and suggest enhancements there, if there are
>> relevant ones.
>>
>> In addition, AUR/widevine has other problems. As its used release
>> deliverables for different platforms diverge in their version:
>>
>> - AUR/widevine pkgver: 4.10.2252.0
>> - x86_64: upstream - 4.10.2710.0 (released 2024-02-12)
>> - aarch64/armhf: RaspberryPi.org/Debian - 4.10.2252.0 (released
>> 2023-10-05)
>> - (AUR/chromium-widevine pkgver: 4.10.2710.0, released 2024-02-12)
>>
>> As the RPI distro does not carry the latest version, it seems not to
>> be viable to carry binaries for different architectures in the same
>> PKGBUILD.
>>
>> Which leads me to conclude that a PKGBUILD for the RPI releases should
>> be submitted to the ArchLinuxARM.org repositories only.
>The problem with that is that widevine is not open source and not
>distributable, so the package is not allowed to be in any repository, thus an
>AUR package is required.
>>
>> That would actually benefit users more, while not cluttering the AUR.
>>
>> [a]:
>> https://lists.archlinux.org/archives/list/aur-requests@lists.archlinux.org/thread/IAHLWRGRNHHUZRU2LRMX5UTZUNGJBAUO/#5CT5XAQZNIHQYPSRZ6CMDTY67XE3QOU2
>> [b]:
>> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/chromium-widevine
>>
>> [1] https://aur.archlinux.org/account/MarsSeed/
>> [2] https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/widevine/

Hm, in that case, I believe the best course of action would be yet to add the
RaspberryPi release tarballs to AUR/chromium-widevine, and its pkgver could
reflect the divergent versions in the following way (example):

pkgver=4.10.2710.0_rpi4.10.2252.0

Can you maybe request collaboration with AUR/chromium-widevine's maintainer to
make the necessary changes in that PKGBUILD?

That would be the best in my opinion.

Thank you for considering my proposal.