From: stephenk
Sent: Wednesday, April 06, 2016 9:19 AM
To: Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] Help, please

Bernard,
a somewhat picky reponse but there are not just one "species" of each of these
types in Australia. (If you are intending your book to be world wide, I am sure
the topic gets even more messy)

Eagle - 3 (including the Sea Eagle)
Buzzard -  0 (except the Black Breated Kite is known as a Black Breasted
Buzzard in some parts of Australia)
Hawk - 5 (including goshawks and sparrowhawks) or 12 if you include those
ospreys, falcons, harriers and kestrels which are sometimes colloquially known
as different types of hawks
Kite - 7
Pelican - 1
Ibis - 3
Swift - 2 (and 3 species of swiftlets)

Perhaps here or similar sites;
http://birdlife.org.au/all-about-birds/australias-birds/find-a-bird
might be a good place to hunt down people who are more likely to have bird
pictures.

I would also recommend a copy of "Field Guide to the Birds of Australia" by
Graham Pizzey to give some good general info on bird habits, distribution etc.

Regards
SWK