Maybe he doesn't want to waste more money than absolutely necessary on an ancient requirement that should have been abolished more than ten years ago?
It isn't as if it is going to get actually used or be useful.

How many people still carry a paper map? Without one the compass is pointless in the event of total electrics failure, which in itself is highly unlikely given most GPS units/tablets have internal batteries and a smartphone makes fine backup given you are probably carrying one anyway.

I have 4, independent, battery backed nav systems in the BD-4.

If the GPS system goes down, getting lost is the least of your problems. I can think of only two scenarios - hostile action (probably nuclear war) or a Carrington event. In any case over the next few years we will be talking around 100 GNSS satellites from several independent systems. GPS/Glonass receivers are commonly available and GPS/Glonass/Galileo/Beidou/QZSS are increasingly available.

Mike