At 06:49 PM 12/14/2016, you wrote:
Poland is also becoming a threat

Indeed. The GP 14 wing weighs 31Kg and broke at over 10g. Anyone know how they are building that?

I had a chance to have a really good look at a Diana 1 a few years ago. When they say monocoque they mean it. Just about nothing in the fuselage besides the carbon shell apart from the main bulkhead and there isn't much to that. The cockpit appears to have one molded part that drops in to form the seat. I don't know if the fin and tailplane have any foam sandwich but they are small enough that just carbon monocoque skin would probably do as would the same on the outer parts of wings. The control system with the side stick is also a model of simplicity. I was impressed by all that and the small size. When I look at most gliders now I think that I'm looking at altogether too much glider.

The Russia AC4 eliminated the pins on the end of the spar stubs. They fit into molded recesses in the opposite root rib. Means the pins aren't there to concentrate stresses and fatigue or corrode.

Design is the key. Eliminate parts. Anybody can build something complex. Good design and engineering is making it as simple as possible. I don't think the bottle neck to glider production is actually making the wing and fuselage shells or time in the molds. Putting in dozens of small parts, all of which had to be made in molds or the metal shop or cut out of plywood and covered in glass (Schleicher) plus the finishing shop seems to be the problem. Shaping the glider isn't a problem if the molds are accurate and parts fit properly and Schempp obviously solved that problem for wings 30 years ago. I can see why gel coat is used but there are other ways of protecting molds and using highly toxic two pack paints would also seem to be overkill given that gliders generally don't sit outside in all weathers. A good quality single pack acrylic lacquer over a UV barrier undercoat would be as useful and very much easier to touch up and saves around 20 + Kg on a glider. The ongoing use of vorgelat (T 35 or not) is a disgrace.

Certification is a problem and I suspect the established manufacturers love it as it is a steep barrier to entry for new manufacturers. Witness the drawn out process for the JS 1 to get certified in Europe. There was a bitter joke going around a while back that CS22 Amendment 3 read something like "all non German gliders must perform worse" meaning if it was better it wasn't going to get certified. Germany Inc. at work.

Now if gliders were produced as kits and the designs were simplified as suggested above maybe using automated layup and pre pregs would be economical. At least certification would go away and owners would have a much better understanding of their gliders. The design however must be for the highest performance. In the past kit gliders have failed because they are only OK performance but not for contests. The world is awash with very cheap used gliders right now which offer 80% + the performance of new ones so a kit of that performance is going to fail.

Mike

Borgelt Instruments - design & manufacture of quality soaring instrumentation since 1978
www.borgeltinstruments.com
tel:   07 4635 5784     overseas: int+61-7-4635 5784
mob: 042835 5784                :  int+61-42835 5784
P O Box 4607, Toowoomba East, QLD 4350, Australia