Fine weather but windy due high ridging into the bight, strong inversion
around 6000' Saturday & Sunday. Walk in the park 170kms on Saturday, but
got serious yesterday and set skinny cross-wind task Bev -Wylkatchem
-Pingelly - Bev (310K) . Mostly worked 3000-5500/6000 band with only one
low grovel from 1500agl, the drift in the thermal was interesting around
15-20knots. Thermal strength was good 5-6 knots in the core and they
were quite tight (QNH 1024), as soon as lift was hit, a turn into wind
and street until the core came along seem to work well. Saw quite a few
powered aircraft enroute and several wedgetails showed me where the best
cores were. One sat off my inside wingtip vortice for three turns and
seemed to enjoy it as much as I did. If there is something in
reincarnation, I want to be one of those next time!
Chris Bailey has finished building his RV-4 (4.5 years in the making)and
terrorised the airways all weekend at 170knots (I didn't mind, more Mike
Yankee time for me). Chris is still sorting out the landings, but the
aircraft looks beautiful, I'll post a photo URL soon.
Regards,
John Welsh.
Hornet VH-GMY.