GFA Instructors Handbook.:

> "If intending to carry out a low tow, maintain station above the
slipstream as
> the tug leaves the ground.  When the tug is positively established in a
climb,
> move the glider gently but positively down through the turbulence behind
the tug
> until once again in smooth air
> --

In that case, when I take off as P1, I am always intending to be in a high
tow position but appear to always change my mind when I feel that I am at a
safe height to return safely to the field when I decide to go into the low
tow position!  :)

PeterS
PS:  long tow ropes are good; just a bugger to handle on the ground.