The controller was probably Gerry. Great bloke. Pity he's left now. He had a most
amazing memory for placing names to voices. eg on radio checks.
me: Camden ground, glider xyz request radio check on 121.9
Twr: Gday Derek reading you 5....

Camden now just gets a rotation of Bankstown controllers who unfortunately are not as
au-fait with gliders.

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 4/07/01 15:24:03 >>>
>that reminds me of the day that one of your Camden Twr boys
>contacted SAR because one of your gliders had made an outlanding.
..
>You have a lot to teach some of your ATC's

Like many people involved in power flying, they don't seem to learn much
about gliding from their basic training. However I found the ATC blokes at
Camden were pretty good when I flew there about 5-10 years ago... example:

In the course of some power flying training, I was going out for some
circuit practice one morning there. Like Parafield, Camden has GA
procedures. I seemed to be the only aircraft on frequency. ATIS said runway
06 was active, I acknowledged it in my taxi call. After pre takeoff checks,
running up the engine etc., I taxied to the end of the runway and gave my
"Ready" call:

"Camden tower, ABC ready, runway .. aaahh .. "

I'd taxied to the holding point for runway 24 - the wrong end. Whoops. Both
the controller and my instructor had been watching for some minutes,
wondering when I would notice my mistake... The guy in the tower helped me
out:

"ABC, clear for takeoff runway 24, then manoeuvre for circuits on runway 06."

Pretty flexible... there was no wind and no other traffic.

>From what I saw, the (regular) guys in the tower at Camden were un-fazed by
almost everything, a real pleasure to deal with. Including the time a hot
air balloon narrowly missed the tower, then "landed" and had to be packed
up on the main runway. Luckily that too was an early morning with no other
traffic.

--
A polar bear is a rectangular bear after a coordinate transform.