with the attachement this time...

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of David
Conway
Sent: Monday, 23 July 2001 5:48 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [aus-soaring] AD 277

I had the battery in our Grumman Traveller melt down to a puddle of slag on
the first days flying after a 100 hourly.

Have a look at the (small) pic attached.

I wasn't very impressed. The LAME had not inspected the battery leads where
they go through the battery box despite this being a requirement.

The positive lead had worn through the grommet and shorted to the earthed
case.

The aircraft was flown from Adelaide to Meningie, then to Renmark normally,
and parked while we went and had a meeting and lunch.

When we came back a few hours later and went to crank it up, it was dead.
Everything looked normal when we opened the cowl, except the battery leads
were very loose when I wriggled them. We removed the lid to discover what
was left of the battery.

Then I had to borrow a car to get back to Adelaide, find an appropriate
battery, drive back to Renmark, install it, fly it back to Parafield, and
get it checked out.

A minor nuisance I suppose compared to the prospect of an in-flight fire.

We use a different LAME now.

Our old LAME was surprised when he got a rather serious audit from CASA a
little later. We weren't.

Don't assume just because its had a 100 hourly its in perfect condition.

David