Absolutely.

But the 1/2 wind speed at ground level is added to our safe speed only to
allow for wind gradient near ground level.

Nothing to do with wind sheer. Have a look at your BGK, page 70.

Wind sheer can occur at any altitude from any direction - it has no
correlation with wind speed or direction at ground level.

You could get wind sheer somewhere on circuit when the ground wind was
zero - early in the morning before the lower air mass has coupled with the
higher air mass for example - so adding half of zero doesn't help you much
then.

The safe speed (1.5 x Vs) should provide adequate margin for gusts,
thermals, wind sheer, etc.

cheers

David