>In the GFA system everyone is treated like a student pilot. I guess deep
>down the instructors know the training is inadequate so they don't trust
>their product.

I don't know

Some of the training I received for my PPL was quite worrying.  The
level of (in)competence of the instructors teaching me forced
landings was scary.

The lack of supervision after gaining my licence was also surprising.
would we let early solo pilots fly with only 3 circuits every 3
months required to keep currency if and only if they wanted to carry
passengers?

I think that at least our current system of club instructors keeps a
watchful eye on pilots and does a better job of regulating their
progress and determining their skill/currency levels.

-Cath