At 01:33 AM 5/06/02 +1000, you wrote:
>At 10:05 04-06-02 +0930, Simon wrote:
>>At 9:55 AM +0930 4/6/02, ANDREW WRIGHT wrote:
>>>         Why is it that a glider was is airspace through which parachutists
>>>were operating or the otherway around ?
>
>Simon
>
>Why would you expect to see anything like that marked on a WAC - which is
>purely a 1:1,000,000 topographic chart that is overprinted only with
>aerodromes, isogonals and spot heights in feet.  To find information like
>that you need to use the ERC or TAC (which are IFR navigation and VFR
>planning charts) or the VNC and VTC which ARE aeronautical navigation
>charts that include airspace information.
>
>Further, CASA is not the airspace administrator in Australia - that role is
>performed by Airservices, which is set up to make a "dividend" for its sole
>shareholder and hence to maximise profits within the constraints of its Act
>of Parliament.  Frequency pairing (or more usually multiplexing) has a
>significant safety cost which for some reason ASA finds tolerable when few
>if any others do - but few others seem willing to pay to eliminate the
>safety risks.
>
>122.7 may be dedicate to the gliding fraternity but is not there to allow
>us to bury our heads in the sand - just to use sensibly without
>inconveniencing others.  All is compromise and we should respect the
>privilege and use it sensibly.
>
>Wombat

Isn't here a reg that requires you to carry charts so you know all this
stuff above controlled airspace boundaries, danger areas, parachuting etc?
How come glider pilots flying cross country aren't doing it?

On radio use: You aren't required to routinely broadcast on area frequency
while enroute VFR in G airspace and nowadays few people do, with the
exception of our Chinese friends in WA who make position reports every 10
minutes. Only if you hear a broadcast that will lead possibly to a
conflict, do you have to respond. The only people making routine broadcasts
are the IFR guys and special ops like parachuting and this system works
well by keeping the frequency relatively uncluttered and still protecting
the IFR traffic which is the intent.

Radio alerting enroute is highly over-rated and isn't done in Europe or the
USA because it simply wouldn't work due to the traffic volume. Instead
pilots fly with eyes out side and looking. After seeing your first few
aircraft you become convinced that there ARE indeed lots of aircraft out
there. I suspect you'd have a hard time convincing an Australian pilot of
that due to lack of traffic but we've seen other VFR traffic lots of times
while cross country in the BD4 and many, many times in gliders although the
only ones to acknowledge my wing waggle are ag pilots ferrying cross
country. It's still a worry what you might be missing. I want a 21st
Century collision avoidance system.

Mike
Borgelt Instruments - manufacturers of quality soaring instruments
ABN 75532924542
Box 7474 Toowoomba M.C.
Queensland 4352
Australia