Hi Richard,

Not a lot publicised about these features . . but the 76S is a very well
respected gps.

I looked thoroughly at many models this time last year . . it was only
the price that made me buy it's (cut down) brother GPS72 a$400 plus
cables.  The GPS 76 is also worth a good look.

Remember that although the 'Map76s' is a 'mapping' GPS, it only uses
Garmin maps! Apparently (in Australia) the Magellan maps are *far*
better in country areas (than Garmin).
I have heard (only) of a Magellan "SP24 XC Free Flying" model.

In this price range a real consideration is a low cost gps driving an HP
iPaq 3950 with WinPilot www.winpilot.com (or one of the 'free'
alternative) gliding programs. You can then further add Melways or
Sydways for use in your car, and use OziExplorer with your own scanned
maps , etc, etc.

In my opinion, the Garmin GPSMAP 76S GPS receiver would be an ideal club
investment, subject to a review of the usefulness of the 'gliding
functions' mentioned. There is an equivalent Garmin "Vista" with a tiny
case and screen . . . but the 72 and 76 series is much easier to see in
flight (Velcro on the back, to a spare spot on the panel, works well).

Here are my notes re the Garmin GPSMAP 76S GPS receiver:
A$1,088 12v, display and buttons easy to see/use in flight. BEST FOR
GLIDING.
Large, detailed display, has mapping ability and comes with some Aust
info
Calculates basic gliding functions, has a barometric altimeter, and a
compass.
Best used vertically but the display is not at the top end . . pity.
24mb 'memory' - used for downloading more Garmin maps (cost extra).
10,000 trackpoints. Great! eg 8hr 20m at 3 second intervals.
Display: 1.6" x 2.2" = 3.5sq", 240x180 = 43k pixels (12kp/sq"), four
levels of gray.

Hope this helps? Or sparks a discussion!

Cheers,

Jim Kelly.