Hi,

Some corrections and updates on my earlier post:

| The Garmin GPS models that are ideal for gliding with a Pocket-PC are:
|
| Garmin 72 A$393 12v, display and buttons easy to see/use in flight.
| 2048 trackpoints - interval adjusted by time or distance
|          eg 5hr 40m at 10 seconds.
| 1.6"x2.2"=3.5sq", 160x120=19k pixels (5kp/sq"), 4 levels of grey.
| Has a socket (but no cable) to link to a PC or Pocket-PC or Palm.
|
| Garmin 76 A$594 12v, as per model 72 but improved as follows:
| Adds an external aerial socket (only)
| 10,000 trackpoints. Great! eg 8hr 20m at 3 seconds.
| A more detailed display: 240x180 = 43k pixels (12kp/sq"), 4 levels of
| gray. PC link cable included.

NB: NOT 10,000 TrackPoints! You have to go to the next model up,
the gpsMAP76, or to the lovely gpsMAP76"S" to get this!
****** So, no longer would I recommend the standard 76 ******

| And of course the GPS MAP 76s at $1088.
HOORAY!! The price has finally dropped to a very reasonable $860
See http://www.ja-gps.com.au/catalog.html#anchor4289858
Perhaps even less with a haggle ;-)

Here are my own notes on the Garmin GPS MAP 76"S" for your info:
Calculates basic gliding functions as choices for all configurable
display fields:
  Glide Ratio (can be displayed all the time)
  Glide Ratio to Destination, and
  Vertical Speed to Destination.

12 volt . . . easy to power from glider, car or boat.
Display and buttons are easy to see/use in flight.
Best used vertically but the display is not at the top end . . pity.
A large detailed display: 240x180 = 43k pixels (12kp/sq"),
  4 levels of grey. 1.6" x 2.2" = 3.5sq".
10,000 trackpoints. Great! eg 8hr 20m at 3 seconds.
 - interval adjustable by time or distance
Has a socket to link to a PC or Pocket-PC or Palm.
   PC link cable included.
Has an external aerial socket (external antenna model GA27C with
windscreen suction mount, and magnetic mount $115.)

Has mapping ability, can store 1000 user waypoints.
Comes with some Aust info, more buyable from Garmin (only) to store in
24mb RAM (eg: 'Metroguide' has national coverage of cities & towns, with
limited detail in rural areas ~$270. 'BlueChart' contains offshore info
$$$).

Has a barometric altimeter, and a compass.

More info available soon . . . mine expected to arrive tomorrow!! :-)

 Cheers,

 Jim Kelly