Jason (et al),

Interesting thread about getting young people into gliding and keeping
them. The stats you posted about our membership (at SCGC) made me
realise why people at the club keeping calling me 'young Richard', even
though I'm only three months shy of my 40th! I'll keep coming, if only
to maintain my (relative) youth...

By observation of the lists only -- not based on any hard knowledge --
it seems to me that one of the more active and innovative clubs in this
area is the Adelaide University Gliding Club. Maybe there's an
opportunity for us (and other clubs around Australia) to build
affiliations with local universities -- and their student (sports)
unions. I remember when I was at Sydney Uni, the student union tipped
some funding into the ailing Amateur Radio club (my interest in those
days) at various times. We may be able to tap such a funding source, if
only to assist in publicising the XXX University Gliding Club during
Orientation Week. How would our Junior look on the front lawn at Sydney
Uni for a few days in February?

I guess a key for any GC seeking to set up an affiliation with a
university sports union would be to have one (or preferably more) GC
members attending the university -- a core on which to focus efforts,
and through which to coordinate activities. Hosting a regular (monthly?
fortnightly?) XUGC flying day would be great for a club: a regular
injection of youthful enthusiasm and increased utilisation of the
fleet. Also a great way to maintain, at least in the early stages, the
valuable social (peer group) interaction to which Nick refers, both
amongst the students and by allowing the host club to roster
instructors who are likely to relate well.

Any other GCs in Australia with experience in this regard?

Richard.