When I fly away from Camden I use oziexplorer and the ozlig 1:250000 maps and plot all
the landing fields I can find in the area where I am flying, and just number them z1
to z99.
When I load them into my GPS 89, I can then use the go to nearest key.
Naming them z1 to 99 ensures they do not interfere with the official turnpoint list,
and are at the bottom of the list of turnpoints, out of the way.
I understand that the ozlig maps may not be completely up to date, but I reckon it's
better than nothing.
Obviously having a list of 'official' outlanding sites is even better...

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 29/09/03 8:39:13 >>>
I understand in Europe the cost of outlanding is almost prohibitive, so
flying always within the capture zone of a known 'safe' airfield is almost
essential.  Roland Poss was in out club several years ago and did
considerable research on outlanding strips and flew always within final
glide range of these.

What would make safe Xcountry gliding simpler would be to not only have them
programmed in the flight computer, but an easy interface to a B2000 or
similar to confirm when altitude is sufficient to reach the next
airfield/paddock.  Say airfields indicated on the iPaq map and gliding
distance circles/eclipses at 0 Mac ready centred on current position [noting
wind and altitude/terrain!]

Now there is a challenge.

Does such a user friendly system exist?

Alan Wilson