At 08:34 AM 1/12/03 +1030, you wrote:
>So, reading between the lines (and assuming their C&D are similar to our
>C&D).
>Does this mean that up till now gliders in Germany have been allowed to fly
>in C and D as a matter of course _without_ a transponder? IE C being the
>equivalent of a capital city airport, such as Adelaide.
>
>Regards
>SWK

As these are ICAO airspace definitions they should be the same. However in
oz we have C that the controllers have treated as if it was B and G which
was actually F under the ICAO definitions.

Nigel wrote:
Just a short story of some interest to the Transponder threads, Hank and
myself flying Kingaroy - Massie - Chinchilla - Kingaroy ( just a quick 400
or some ) on Saturday, had one leg that took us through the Oakey MBZ, we
gave our inbound call and intentions , no reply, after reaching Oakey I
gave another call ( at this stage I had turned ON the mode c on my microair
T2000 ) and an IFR Kingair called back, stating he was 30 NM out on descent
for Toowoomba, asked us for our exact location etc, I knew we would cross
paths later so we kept a lookout through 5 Octa of cloud! 4 minutes later
he called again, now only 10nm out and at our level, I called back , he
acknowledged and also advised that Brisbane radar had been tracking me and
they knew where we were, and descended to avoid us, at about that moment I
saw him fly under hank about 1,000ft lower ( Hank was about 1 km in front,
same level ). Neither Hank nor myself saw him until then, and believe me ,
we were looking!

If that was about 12:40 that was the Kingair that arrived at TWB at the
same time we did on the way back from Narromine/Keepit. Interesting point
was that because he called at 30nm on the MBZ and we weren't on the area
freq but the MBZ we got advance warning of his presence and could plan our
arrival. We saw him when he had about 2 miles to run on his 5 mile straight
in final while we were on a slightly wider than usual circuit so he could
go first. I'll always give way to the Flying Doctor.

Mike

Borgelt Instruments - manufacturers of quality soaring instruments
phone Int'l + 61 746 355784
fax   Int'l + 61 746 358796
cellphone Int'l + 61 428 355784
          Int'l + 61 429 355784