On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 12:39:49 +1000, Adam Woolley wrote
> Sounds good!  We should get started on this and nominate a postal
> address to send all the footage to!

[snip]

And then Wayne Carter wrote:

> >Re: movie making,  what if, through the magazine, website and clubs pages,
> >an open invitation is put out to everyone to DONATE copies of any private
> >footage they have, then have it professionally edited together (with
> >whatever music ends up being cheaply attainable). The expensive bit will
> >then be already done, and if something is so good it needs "re-creating",
> >so be it, get it professionally done. I am sure our gliding folk have some
> >ripper footage stored away somewhere! Keep it up! Wayne Carter, Go
> >Packaging, 03 5989 2476

Who on this list has ever done editing of movie footage ?

I admit to having a bit of a dabble with several projects using my Mini DV
camera and Pinnacle Studio 8 on my PC.

I discovered one important thing.

It is not a trivial task

Even with all the modern whiz-bang of digital technology, it is a difficult
task to get right.  Just as a PC and word processing package does not turn
everyone into a desktop publishing expert (how much "DTP pizza" have you
seen), a Mini DV camera and NLE package on a PC does not make everyone into
Steven Spielberg.

I got roped into putting together a video for a church activity.  From around
4 hours of raw footage, I turned it into 15 minutes of final video and
another 5 minutes of bloopers and out-takes.  That process took me probably
12 hours from 3 * solid 4 hour sessions until late in the evening, without
any sort of musical accompanyment.  The final product probably had close to
250 short scenes that were used, and around half my editing time was spent
just trimming scenes to get the right footage, even before I started putting
it together into the final storyboard.

So before we start deluging some person's PO BOX with mini DV tapes, stop and
think through the logistics.

Mini DV footage consumes 3.5 Mb of disk space per second.  That's 210Mb per
minute, or roughly 12.6 Gb per hour. Get 20 tapes, and that's 250 Gb of
footage to wade through.  Even if you decide to simply view each tape from
end to end, maybe there's only a few seconds of useable footage, and the rest
ends up on the digial equivalent of the cutting room floor.  Even if you just
sit down and watch tape after tape, someone's got to do it, and catalog the
lot into categories according to its content and qualities etc.

Any good video needs a storyboard BEFORE it is filmed.  Go to any short film
festival and talk to the producers, and you will discover that basic truth.

So if we want to make a video, give us a storyboard, and then invite people
to send in specific, pre-edited footage, which tells your story.

If you haven't read it, I can recommend "The Digital Video Manual" by Robert
Hull, available from good book stores like Dymocks or your local library.

For full library citation details see
http://www.library.camden.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/spydus.exe/ENQ/OPAC/BSEARCH?
BS=digital+video+manual&BS_NAME=TI&NRECS=10&SORTS=BY+SOVR

Who on this list has any professional involvement in the processes involved ?
i.e. storyboarding, camera work, editing, musical scoring, etc.  If these
people exist within our ranks, let's seek them out and take advantage of
their experience and expertise.  We will save ourselves some real pain and
suffering by not falling into

I don't want to dampen the enthusiasm (and indeed I believe we can do better
than Lucy Learns to Fly), but let's think about ALL the aspects involved
before we act, just as people have to think about their task before launcing
on a XC gliding flight.

Cheers

Jason Armistead