FYI

The forwarded snippet at the end of this message is a reply from APRA, the
Australasian Performing Rights Association, who are one of the organisations
responsible for music licensing in Australia (others being ARIA, AMCOS and
PPCA).

The documents referred to on the Australian Copyright Council's web site are
pretty clear on "sampling" being a no-no unless previously authorised.  In
light of reading those, I would consider a 30 second snippet of a song to
be "substantial" enough to constitute a violation of copyright.

Our overseas gliding pals seem to disregard copyright on almost all the
videos I've seen.  Often times they use one or more entire tracks by
mainstream artists as backing music.  Just look at the videos referred to on
Usenet group rec.aviation.soaring, e.g the (VERY large) ones from Aero Club
of Portugal (http://www.aecp.pt/index.asp?id=149).  I remain unconvinced that
any of these uses licensed music.

The Domestic Use license referred to is not really what we could use for a
gliding promotional video that was distributed far and wide on CD/DVD or
streamed on the Internet.

Cheers

Jason Armistead

------- Start of forwarded reply -------

Hi Jason

Thankyou for your enquiry. You are quite in your interpretation of the
Copyright Act; any synchronisation (reproduction into video) of music, no
matter what length, needs to be cleared with the appropriate Copyright owner
(music publisher and record company). For further and more detailed
information regarding Copyright and music please refer to the Australian
Copyright Council's website -

http://www.copyright.org.au/PDF/InfoSheets/G012.pdf
http://www.copyright.org.au/PDF/InfoSheets/G047.pdf

In some instances we may be able to licence on their behalf under an
AMCOS/ARIA Domestic Use Video Licence, which is a blanket licence to cover
purely 'domestic' video productions. The most common example being wedding
videos and similar videos. I have attached application forms below, which
explain in better detail costs and terms/conditions associated with these
licences.  For further general information re. this licence please also refer
to our website - http://www.apra.com.au/Licence/RecDomestic.htm

I hope this answers your questions; if you do have any further questions
please let me know.

Kind Regards,

Mostyn Rischmueller
AMCOS Mech. Licensing Assistant