My introduction to gliding back in the 70's was pure chance. I wanted to fly power, so one day did the rounds of the schools, Bankstown first, out to Hoxton Park, and then to Camden, and "discovered" gliding.

Being a uni student with limited $$$$$$4 at the time, when I found out the costs ........ joined up. Never did go power, though only flew for a couple of years anyway for various reasons.

I have been following this video thread and I fear the big problem is simply that no one out in the community knows what soaring / gliding is.

I decided to conduct an experiment at the bowling club today. I canvassed the members on gliding. The results were not encouraging. None of them had a clue. They see hang gliders in adds, even para gliders, but a real sailplane ? - what is that (with blank or disbelieving expression).

So, a thought. To "grab" people, you need something "catchy" and exciting. Making a video explaining gliding would be difficult production wise, and would probably have limited impact. In other words, the return for effort would be questionable.

Therefore, what about going the add-men routine, and produce a compilation of a series of "shorts", ie, like adds.

Produce a DVD or similar of shorts from clubs all over. Each club gets their local video nut to do a bit of photography one flying day. It doesn't matter what it is, so long as it is either typical of ops, or perhaps something special. So each club sends in a few minutes of video, either or and ground based, of their ops. Someone might show a winch launch - 30sec say. Someone might show a few loops in a Blanik - another 30sec, etc. After you gather all the "shorts" you could weave them together into some sort of order, producing say three or four (or more) different 90 sec "adds" with some voice over commentary as appropriate, GFA logo somewhere, and the GFA web site URL across the bottom at the end say.

The common thing you need though is an "auditory signature", ie, either a "jingle", or an "anthem". Every add man knows that is the most important thing. There must be some members (or their children) out there with some musical skills. It would be a good idea to create a competition to produce a bit of "GFA music". Shows like "Australian Idol" suggest there must be at least a few budding music types in the associated ranks, surely. Entries could be judged, and prises given, winning entry becomes the anthem.

Then, the finished DVD could be sent back out to all clubs to use / distribute as they saw fit. You could even send copies to video houses, TV stations etc as promotional material. You never know, they might even use them.

Disclaimer. This was produced after about a dozen schooners and a couple of southerns.

(Spell checking by Mozilla).

McLean Richard wrote:
It would be interesting to get a cross-section of us
"committed" glider pilots & find out just what drew
them to gliding .. my own story isn't that different
to Michael's .. always loved flying but knew
absolutely nothing about gliding until I met someone
who already did it. Hooked ever since! Does anyone
have a different story about some other aspect that
drew them into gliding? Do we need to do a formal
survey of the current membership perhaps? Re: DVD -
maybe we could distribute it to members to show
"prospects" when they detect any interest? I agree
with previous comments re: 30 second max attention
span, storyboards etc .. still not convinced we can't
do this ourselves though! I might have to make an
effort to learn more about the editing process & give
it a shot myself.

--- Michael Texler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

I agree.

Fellow glider pilots can watch gliding and flying
videos all day, although
admittedly it can be like watching paint dry.

Whenever I have shown non flying people people
gliding or power flying
flicks, their eyes glaze over and they wonder when
it will stop (much like
taking on AEF up on a hot bumpy day).

Simon's precis is a good start.

My experience is that there are a small percentage
of people in the general
populace who wish to fly and will actively seek out
ways of learning how to
aviate. I actively sought out to learn how to fly
and was keen to learn
powered flight from a young age (until I learned of
the cost). I was made
aware of the Adelaide Uni Club via my Dad who knew a
work colleague who was
a tow-pilot at Waikerie. I had the impression that
glider flights would be
like glorified paper planes (i.e. only airborne for
a few minutes).
Nevertheless, glider flight was better than no
flying at all. I was hooked
from day one and haven't been able to shut up about
it since (that was
1987).

Trying to capture Joe public seems a much different
and inefficient
exercise. Most AEFs that I have flown have been
either Birthday Gifts or
friends/family of current glider pilots. It is rare
where you have Joe
public stopping by the airfield asking to go for a
flight and even rarer
that such people become members.

If I describe a typical summer's gliding day (hot,
dusty and long) or winter
(wet, muddy, cold and long) most people find this a
turn off (I don't blame
them).

For me, gliding is so much fun that I am willing to
put up with the less
glamorous aspects of the day.

My daily rave,

Michael T.