Hi

Many people outside Queensland won't know Ralph Henderson - but then I
don't think Bob Hall is particularly well known either, despite being
the current GFA President.

For the policies of the two candidates, I suggest you contact them
directly, as I have no desire to put words into their mouths. However, I
do know Ralph and would like to pass on to you why I strongly believe
that he would make an excellent President of our association.

It is a truism of management that an individual's past performance is
the best indicator of the future - and Ralph's past performance in the
Queensland gliding scene has been excellent.

Ralph is past president of Darling Downs Soaring Club. During his
tenure, he was responsible for organising the considerable effort of a
small team of people needed to reincorporate the club under the Qld
'incorporated association' regulations. This activity was not glamorous,
but was essential to secure the future for the club, making it
significantly easier to run.

As president, Ralph ensured that the club members were given regular
opportunities for involvement in their club's management. Open meetings
were held regularly at the club house on weekend evenings, in which club
members participated in the current running and future planning of their
club.

Ralph's presidency was marked by the forging of local and international
links of great benefit to SE Qld gliding. Under his leadership, a
reciprocal membership agreement was reached with Caboolture gliding
club, giving Caboolture club members somewhere to go for XC flying. This
boosted DDSC's aircraft utilisation and also gave them access to the
significant numbers of ab initio pilots trained by Caboolture. His work
on the international front has lead to biennial visits of teams from the
UK and the participation of international pilots in the DDSC organised
state competition in 2002. This effort is bearing further fruit in 2004,
with pilots from NZ, Japan and Italy so far confirmed for the
multi-class Nationals in October.

Ralph also headed the organising teams that ran the 2002 State
competition (at McCaffrey Field) and the 2003 Easter competition (at
Dalby). These competitions were very well attended and excellently run.
Ralph is also heading the organisation of the 2004 multi-class nationals
(at Dalby in Oct this year), which, from current indications, will be
the largest Nationals for some years.

Ralph is currently president of Gliding Queensland (formerly Queensland
Soaring Association), the peak state gliding body. This organisation has
been re-envigorated under his leadership, with actions and financial
support flowing out to juniors, clubs and competitions.

Ralph has also shown a significant skill in marketing gliding. The 2004
multi-class nationals demonstrate this though the wide range of sponsors
he has lined up for this event (see http://www.ddsc.org.au/dalby2004/).

In all of these activities, Ralph is an inclusive and inspiring leader.
He is without doubt a person well capable of refocusing and
reinvigorating our national gliding organisation so that it truly
benefits us, its current members and those lucky people who have gliding
somewhere in their future.

I urge you all to find out more from the two candidates and request your
state representatives to do so also - and then vote accordingly.

If gliding is important to you - and it must be, or you wouldn't be here
- then the operations of our peak body are vital to you. This is your
chance to influence your gliding future!

(PS Alice likes him too :-)

--
Robert Hart                                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
+61 (0)438 385 533