Brian

CASA NPRM 216 gives some insight (pardon the pun), but doesn't go into the
exact causes:

http://rrp.casa.gov.au/nprm/nprm0216and.pdf

I believe the effectiveness of the rods in the eye (the bits that provide us
with peripheral vision) are very sensitive to the level of oxygen in the
blood.  Once it starts going down, their effectiveness, and thus that of our
peripheral vision is reduced.

The rods also provide us with night vision, and so it's equally important to
bug smasher pilots who fly at night.

One other article that talks about hypoxia and eye physiology is

http://www.aoanet.org/eweb/DynamicPage.aspx?site=AOAstage&WebCode=NightVision

Cheers

Jason

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 00:20:44 +1000, Brian Wade wrote
> >Snip from Patrick Barfield
>
> <As oher people have pointed out, I wouldn't like to be sharing a
thermal/wave with this person

> And nor would I! Indeed this is exactly the thought that triggered my
initial post on the subject. Nice to have the thread brought back to the key
issue so expertly.
> Can anyone provide information as to the effect of hypoxia on peripheral
vision?
> --
> Brian Wade
> Personal Computer Concepts
> Control SPAM with MailWasher Pro
> Uniform Time
> http://www.uniformtime.com.au
> PO Box 114 INDOOROOPILLY QLD 4068
> Ph: 07 3371 2944 Fax: 07 3870 4103

on high altitude flight safety that some
> people seem to have missed by focusing on the policing aspect.
>
> The greatest danger about hypoxia is the insidious onset which means that a
pilot can be incapacitated suddenly
> without any warning. Therefore I emphatically disagree with a previous
poster who said "if you feel bad, go
> down" because you may not realise that you are feeling bad until it is too
late by which time you could be
> unconscious. In fact, one of the symptoms of hypoxia can be a feeling of
euphoria which will delude the pilot into
> thinking that everything is fine until he/she passes the time of useful
consciousness and is unable to fly the
> aircraft.
>
> For those who say "that couldn't happen to me" consider these examples:
>
> I have done at least 8 hypobaric chamber runs to experience the symptoms
and effects of hypoxia and usually
> on each run one indivual out of a group of 8 subjects becomes so
incapacitated that they require assistance to
> replace their oxygen mask despite extensive prior briefing that everybody
must go back on oxygen while they
> are still able. If somebody can't even replace their own oxygen mask, how
well would they be able to fly an
> aircraft?
>
> While I am unaware of hypoxia fatalities in gliders I remember a Southern
Cross Gliding Club Camp in Forbes
> about 25 years ago where one pilot chasing gold height was "off with the
fairies" when talking on the radio. Either
> through good luck or good management he descended to a lower altitude and
landed succesfully but afterwards
> he couldn't recall the bizarre things that he had been saying on the radio.
>
> There have been instances of fatalities in the power world and the only
similarity between the two fields that I
> want to highlight is that the pilot's physiology is the same. So, if these
power pilots were unable to recognise that
> they were hypoxic and take corrective action, would a glider pilot fare any
better?

> I had the unfortunate duty to preside over a RAAF board of enquiry for the
loss of a Hornet where the pilot

http://www.atsb.gov.au/atsb/media/mrel019.cfm) was also caused by pilot
> incapacitation due to hypoxia. If he knew that he was hypoxic, why didn't
he go on oxy or descend?

> So why haven't we had any fatalities in gliders if so many people are
flying above 10,000? I would hazard a
> guess that pilots have been affected to varying degrees but either weren't
aware of this or didn't want to admit
> that they'd violated a rule. To some degree, the problem in a glider is
self-correcting ie if a pilot is being
> incapacitated by hypoxia his flying skills would deteriorate to such a
point that he would lose the thermal/wave
> and then descend to thicker air and recover. As oher people have pointed
out, I wouldn't like to be sharing a
> thermal/wave with this person. Also, if somebody does "take a nap" for a
minute, what would happen to the
> glider? Try a simple experiment and let go of the stick for a few minutes
if you dare to see what might happen.
> Remember at 10,000 AMSL, the TAS is 20% higher than the IAS and
VNE/manouvering speeds are calculated on
> TAS which means that you are closer to the edge of the flight envelope.
>
> So to sum up, there are plenty of traps for pilots when flying high without
oxygen. The grey area starts when you
> have to apply a rule that covers everybody because everybody's physiology
is different and I have seen some
> individuals last twice as long as others in the hypobaric chamber. I relate
it to setting speed limits on the road.
> There are some drivers who can drive safely at 150 km/h on the freeway and
I have seen other drivers who
> shouldn't be allowed to drive on the freeway at all. The big can of worms
is where you set the limit and how you
> police this limit. Australia has chosen 10,000' as the limit, the US uses
10,000, yet they allow up to 30 minutes
> without oxy up to 12,000' (See http://www.risingup.com/fars/info/part135-89-
FAR.shtml).