-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Robert Hart
Sent: Tuesday, 31 August 2004 9:41 PM
To: Soaring in Australia.
Subject: [Aus-soaring] Quantum mechanics and Alice

Hi

My son Rory (study computational physics in Melbourne) sent me a URL to a
very interesting piece of recent research.

Without boring you all with the entire article, here is the relevant
extract...

"Entanglement allows particles to have a much closer relationship than is
possible in classical physics. For example, two photons can be entangled
such that if one is horizontally polarized, the other is always vertically
polarized, and vice versa, no matter how far apart they are. In quantum
teleportation, complete information about the quantum state of a particle is
instantaneously transferred by the sender, who is usually called Alice, to a
receiver called Bob."

So - maybe we just need to polish up our photon entanglement find a Bob to
sit at the finish line, and Alice will teleport us over the line at the
Nationals!