-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Mark Newton
Sent: Thursday, 2 September 2004 11:31
To: Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] US License

Ronald E Baker wrote:
> For what it's worth I have attached scans of my US License. This was
> issued at the Reno, Nevada FAA office. From memory it took about 45
> minutes to get it issued. They were very helpful! Cheers, Ron Baker.
> PS The license was free, and I was not required to take any tests.

Interesting difference in focus between the FAA and CASA:

The law in the US recognizes that US citizens have a *right* to fly, and the
regulation system is pointed towards ensuring that as people don't hurt
anyone by exercising that right.

The law in Australia seems to treat flying as a privilege which is granted
by a benevolent Government, and the only reason you're permitted to get
airborne at all is by authorization of the law.

It's probably reflective of the difference between the US attitude towards
Government and the Australian attitude towards Government, and the way that
"rights" are treated by US law.

I understand that our system is (slowly, slowly) trying to become more
US-like in areas other than airspace.  It'll be interesting to see how the
two systems compare to each other in ten years time.

Bringing it back on topic:  Cathy Conyway's US pilots license is actually a
CPL, because they recognized her instructors qualifications, and in the US
system only commercial pilots can be instructors.  It has no expiry date.

I wonder how far she'd get if she tendered that license to CASA and said
that because ICAO states recognize each others' qualifications she should
end up with an Australian CPL? <grin>

(and no, before anyone starts, that isn't a serious question)

   - mark