-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Leigh
Bunting
Sent: Thursday, 16 September 2004 9:43 PM
To: Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] GFA taking legal action against Air Services???

Mike Borgelt wrote:

>The rules are that aircraft without generating systems(gliders and some
>others) can fly in Class E without transponders except in Class E within
>40nm of Class D towers.

And that is exactly how I have understood the rules to be also.  I have
used Class E on several ocassions.

Does anyone know how a radar system reacts to a thermaling glider that
is transponder equipped?

A couple of decades ago, I was one of a group touring through Adelaide
ATC one evening. Out north of Adelaide an RAAF Macchi was doing loops in
the dark and the radar system of the day had the equivalent of the Blue
Screen of Death. ATC was a bit embarrassed and hurried us out.

Imagine a radar system with forty gliders thermalling if the system
can't understand what is happening.

--
Leigh Bunting
Colonel Light Gardens