[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Air forces of the world insist on aerobatic training because it moves the subject pilot out of his comfort zone. It forces him to explore the potential of his aircraft and his own ability. It gives him the confidence to better deal with various emergencies that an otherwise experienced pilot might not be able to call on.

I couldn't agree more. That's why, on suitable non-thermally days or at the end of an ordinary day I get some jollies flying around upside-down or doing other 'strange' things in our K21's.

But, it doesn't suit everyone. There are only a couple of us who enjoy the advanced stuff. Lots of others, though, enjoy loops and things.

Spins I don't do a lot of as I get airsick. Nothing to do but watch the scenery go round and round - and the altimeter, of course.

I once wanted to find out how many turns per thousand feet my Grunau Baby would do. It turned out to be seven, but as soon as I went to recover, I immediately threw up. Didn't even know it was coming. Thank goodness for the open cockpit. Just lumpy stripes along the outside of the fuse.

Our K21's will only do three turns and recover themselves, even with full inspin controls. The Mininimbus spins nicely but the undercarriage doors flap which makes a lot of uncomfortable noises and can't do the doors much good either.

Leigh Bunting
Colonel Light Gardens
South Australia
<Open Windows and let the bugs in>