Robert

If you are still considering metal aircraft, the LET factory is still
producing Blaniks (LET are now LZ Aeronautical Industries, still at
www.let.cz) , and IAR may still be producing IS28s (www.iar.ro).

You might also pick up a cheap IS28 from overseas - I remember a British
pilot visiting us after coming to Sydney for the London to Sydney Air Race a
few years ago, and telling us he'd only ever seen an IS28 "Lark" at the back
of the hangar in a club he once belonged to.  He said everyone badmouthed it,
but when he flew it, he quite enjoyed it and was left wondering what all the
fuss was about.

The reality is that if you are after 3 new aircraft, the dollars involved for
an upgrade might limit you to relatively cheaper metal aircraft ahead of the
latest plastic models.

You are very right - the choice of available two-seaters is limited, and of
course in a small world market where production runs are small compared with
DVD players and other consumer items, the price of gliders is only going one
way - UP !

At Southern Cross we are very happy with our DG-1000, but of course that
might be more $$$ than you are looking for (still, a great top of the fleet
ship).  The DG-505, which Bathurst already has, and VMFG has on order, is now
being produced under license by AMS in Slovenia (rather than going to DG for
final assembly), so its price has dropped a bit, which may make it more
appealing.   From all reports, Bathurst are very happy with the DG-505.  Tom
Gilbert is the DG and AMS agent in Australia (see
http://www.tjsailplanes.com/)

Cheers

Jason Armistead

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 12:11:56 +1000, Roger Druce wrote