The following extracts from the CGC pilot handling notes for the IS-30 and IS-29D might be of interest to those involved in the debate on spinning their "cousin",  the IS-28.  The notes were drafted to assist pilots with conversion to type.

IS-30

The Incipient Spin

Being a mild mannered trainer, the Blanik usually has to be provoked into dropping a wing and it is usually accompanied by a recognisable pre stall warning in the form of mild buffeting.  It also becomes noticeably quiet.

The I.S.30, on the other hand, can sneak up on the unwary pilot without any obvious warning.  One minute you are thermalling happily, the next you are pointing at the ground and the inside wing has started to tuck under.  Left unchecked, auto rotation will commence or a transition to a spiral dive may occur.  In this aircraft SPIN RECOVERY MUST BE BY THE BOOK.  Where the docile behaviour of the Blanik will tolerate a less than perfect recovery technique, the I.S.30 will not.  Again this is a level of competency above the basic trainer that readies you for the transition into more advanced aircraft.

The Full Spin

Depending on entry mode, the fully developed spin varies from predictable and conventional through to abrupt and steep.  Entry from a normal thermalling attitude by steady backward movement of the stick combined with coarse use of the rudder results in a predictable departure about the stalled wing followed by auto rotation if full control travel is maintained.  Normal recovery procedures are immediately effective.

If a more enthusiastic effort is made resulting in an "over the top" or very nose high entry then the wing drop is more sudden and the attitude appears steeper.  If the spin is prolonged, the nose down attitude may oscillate past the vertical.  In this situation when you apply the spin recovery control inputs there may be a brief pause before the recovery commences.  This may be a little disconcerting at first, but as long as you maintain the recovery inputs, all will be well.

A note of caution: Once the rotation has stopped, you may find yourself in an extreme nose down attitude.  During the pull out speed and/or structural ("g") limitations could easily be reached, hence the requirement for the correct recovery technique.  Height loss can also be dramatic, so if fully developed spins are intended then make sure you have sufficient height.

IS-29 (Single seat)

Spins

The I.S.29 has a fairly abrupt stall whilst turning at low speed and will produce a definite wing drop.  If conditions are turbulent then an incipient spin is not to be unexpected whilst thermalling if your speed is too low.  If the back pressure is not immediately released the instant an uncommanded roll in the direction of turn occurs then the glider will rotate into a steep nose down attitude.  If it is the pilot's intention to enter a full spin then the controls should be held against their respective stops (ie full back stick + full rudder) otherwise the glider may not stall the inside wing fully and auto rotation may not develop.  The glider is liable to enter a spiral dive with very rapid speed and "g' load build up.  This condition is unacceptable and can potentially lead to structural failure if left unchecked.  The recovery is conventional though considerable forward stick movement may be needed.  Insufficient forward stick movement with opposite rudder applied may result in a brief pause followed by a spin in the opposite direction, which can be quite disconcerting if that was not your intention.

Fully developed spins.

The first turn is typically very steep with a moderate to high rate of rotation.  Once established in the spin subsequent turns produce a significant oscillation in pitch and the rate of rotation appears to stabilise at a slightly slower rate.  Aileron position has a marked effect on the spin characteristics with "into spin" aileron tending to produce a more predictable outcome.  This aircraft demands text book spin recovery technique to be applied!  The recovery may vary as a result of the continual change in pitch from steep to near vertical throughout each rotation, depending at which point the recovery is initiated.  If the recovery control inputs are applied as the nose is pitching down then the spin rotation may be halted with the aircraft left in an extreme nose down attitude.  Acceleration in this instance will be very rapid, so watch the exit speed. Mild buffeting around the tail plane may also be felt as the rotation is stopped with application of full opposite rudder.  As previously noted, significant forward movement of the stick is also required otherwise there is a risk that the glider will try to flick into a spin in the opposite direction whilst full opposite rudder is applied.  This aircraft is not as docile as a Blanik and should not be intentionally spun unless you are very confident of your spin recovery technique.

--
Brian Wade

Personal Computer Concepts
Control SPAM with MailWasher Pro