From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]  On Behalf Of Jarek Mosiejewski
Sent:   Thursday, 23 September 2004 09:57 AM
To:     Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia .
Subject:        Re: RE: RE: [Aus-soaring] IS28 ADs (was Reasons NOT to spin for fun )

It's been noticed in this thread that all Polish gliders to spin. This is, I believe
reflected
in the way Polish glider pilots are trained.
Being fully trained Polish pilot (mid 70') and having flown in Australia for more than
10
years, I though I might share my experience.

Firstly, every trainee pilot in Poland receives full spinning and spin recovery
training
before going solo. Actually completion of this stage is a pre-requisite of going solo.

Secondly, a spin is considered and thought to be an aerobatic figure. To spin a
glider,
you are instructed to keep normal, level attitude, and then close to the pre-stall
speed,
you pull on the stick and initiate rudder action in the desired direction of spin and
hold
it back thorough the spin.  When recovering, emphasis is to recover in a pre-chosen
direction, usually, one or two full revolution.  This is what you would be expected to
do
when asked to spin by a Polish instructor. I do not quite recall practicing incipient
spins as much as it is done in Australia.

Every instructor in Australia I flew with was somewaht dismissive of the above method
of initiating a spin, unless I told up-front what I was about to do.

In Poland, part of Silver C training (in Poland rating called, glider pilot class 2)
includes
aerobatics training: spinning, loops and wing-overs. This is done in a two-seater
(Bocian, Puchacz) and a single-seater, now day Junior, I did it in Mucha 100.

Part of class 1 glider pilot training includes advanced aerobatics which includes slow
rolls and snap rolls and linking all aerobatic figures. This is done in Puchacz.

Converting to a new aircraft in Poland requires three flights; one of them includes
mandatory spinning and aerobatics.

I am not trying to prove which system is better. Here in Australia we fly such a
variety
of gliders with completely different spinning characteristics that it is perhaps hard
device a standard approach for all of them and admittedly I do not hear about as many
spinning accidents as I used to Poland, however, I think the Polish system makes the
pilot more comfortable with spinning.

This communication, including any attachments, is confidential. If
 you are not the intended recipient, you should not read it - please
 contact me immediately, destroy it, and do not copy or use any part of
 this communication or disclose anything about it.