At the time part of AUGC's decision to buy the Puchatek was because we could
use it for spin training to replace our Bocian.

I think the polish glider characteristic of requiring correct spin recovery
technique is good.  Unfortunately many german built types let you off with
partial recovery.  We used to use the Bocian to demonstrate that if you just
used opposite rudder only, you could reverse the direction of the spin and
it wouldn't recover unless the stick also came forward.

The comment I made before about the Puchacz, was that I wondered if the
accidents had occurred because people got used to never having to do a full
proper spin recovery in it and where just doing what they had always gotten
away with in the previous trainer they had used.

When I flew in NZ, I was told to spin the Standard Jantar I flew as part of
the coversion I had to it.  Since I had plenty of height, I had heaps of fun
exploring its characteristics.  I used the entries Jarek describes, as well
as the "spin entry off a shallow turn" and also "simulated cable breaks on
the winch at height" entries.  I also found it interesting to provoke it
from thermalling turns so I would know what it was like before I started
competing in it.

I thought it spun pretty much like I expected a Polish glider to.  I'd only
spun the Puchacz, Puchatek and Bocian polish gliders before.

Years ago someone gave me some advice when I was new to the Boomerang, which
I've never forgotten.  He suggested that coming out of winter, I practice
getting the Boomerang close to spin entries in thermalling to remind myself
of its characteristics.

The Ventus spins well too :)

I think if a glider is rated for spins, then there is no problem doing them.
They are no different to any other aerobatics that are approved for the
type.  I am not a test pilot and will not spin any aeroplane not rated for
it.  This view emphasised when I saw a video of NASA spin testing a Grumman
2 seater (I have a share in a 4 seater AA5).  It completely failed to
respond to any spin recovery techniques until they deployed the parachute
from the tail!

Interestingly, while spinning is not a compulsary part of power training, I
was told its optional. When I got my PPL, the school I did it with likes to
do spins with students in either a C152 aerobat or a Pitts.  I was told I
would be doing those spins.  When I was told that I'd be having my licence
test, I complained that I hadnt had the spin lesson yet and was told that my
positive attitude to the exercise had made them decide it was not necessary
for me to do them - bugger! :)  They know about glider pilots :)

-Cath