At 03:51 PM 10/11/04 +1030, you wrote:
>    Not just mix of units but fractions too. While sometimes 1/2, 1/4, 1/8
>etc can lend itself to very convenient mathematical solutions (eg when
>doubling or halving) more often than not it doesn't.      In fact as a
>young lad I did a bit of fitting work in inches and thou.
>"" notion of 1/8ths and 1/32nds (don't even start on wire/drill/sheetmetal
>gauges!) into decimal inches that made the system less friendly.  Actually
>I do have a ruler marked only in inches and 1/10s* but this measuring
>system is only in widespread use in electronic components, eg pin spacings
>on PCBs (as far as I know).  However, both these systems (engineering thou
>and electronic decimal inches) are decimal based (even with imperial
>units). It says something about the imperial system that there are little
>pockets of decimal notation in it anyway.  Regards
>SWK    * imperial rulers (steel for engineering use) often have an inch
>somewhere marked off in 1/10ths or 1/20ths segments.   ""&" actually
>(whoops).   > -----Original Message-----

Electronics does use 1/10 of an inch but our European friends are trying to
stuff it up by going to 5mm pin spacings instead of 0.2". Surface mount IC
packages are all over the place.

A lot of US engineering seems to be in inches and decimal inches which
seems quite rational. They never weighed people in stones and pounds either
just pounds. And don't use "fortnight" as they don't know what you mean.

Mike

Borgelt Instruments - manufacturers of quality soaring instruments
phone Int'l + 61 746 355784
fax   Int'l + 61 746 358796
cellphone Int'l + 61 428 355784
          Int'l + 61 429 355784