John and all

Several problems are evident when you "View Source" on these pages, any or
all of which might upset Internet Explorer's HTML rendering engine.
Depending on the version of the MSHTML DLLs on your PC, anything is possible
based on whatever service packs, products installed, or security patches
which might update it to a newer version.

1. All of the "&" symbols used in the table text - these should be converted
to "&" to be valid HTML

2. The line breaks are "<br />" but they should be "<br>"

3. There are some quote-like markings which are actually invalid ASCII codes,
e.g. in AD 0616, "Part A: S/N : All serial no's"  that is not actually a
proper single quote (as found on my keyboard underneath a double-quote or
tilde), but instead the byte code is 146 (decimal) or 92 (hexadecimal). You
need to use a hexadecimal file editor to notice these.  I ran the page
through the World Wide Web Consortium's HTML validator service at
http://validator.w3.org which gave me some clues about this invisible one.

4. Spaces in URLs for the individual PDF files are probably not a great idea
either.  Normally a "%20" sequence is used to make it more correct.  Blame
Microsoft for deciding that long file names with spaces were a good idea to
have, even though most core Windows files do not actually use them themselves
and are still 8.3 file names !

A lot of these issues probably arise from the table being generated from some
legacy PC database or spreadsheet and it has not been checked for strict HTML
compliance.

The GFA web site is now maintained by Nikki Douglas, and not Nick Gilbert
(probably a year or so before the new look-and-feel were adopted), though
Marcia at the GFA does some basic maintenance too e.g. uploading membership
lists.  Nikki has been cc-ed on this message, and will no doubt sort out the
e-mail re-direction problem (Nikki look at the following URL for details
http://www.mail-archive.com/aus-soaring@lists.internode.on.net/msg07158.html )

Regards

Jason Armistead

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 10:05:52 +1100, John Giddy wrote