From: "Simon Hackett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia."
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, November 13, 2004 12:36 PM
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] Schleicher announces new model

Guys,

I am all for people who can sell shiny new gliders mentioning it
in this
list.

Its only 'spam' if you don't want to hear about it - and I
honestly
think that people on aus-soaring *do* want to hear about shiny
new
gliders that become available in the marketplace (and for that
matter,
people with shiny - or even non-shiny - older gliders looking for
second home are similarly welcome here in my view).

If it becomes an issue in terms of annoyance factor for a
minority
(bearing in mind that I'm biased on this topic for three
reasons - see
postscript), the trick in the first instance might be to flag the
subject line in some clear manner ('advert' or 'commerical' or
similar)
and people who don't want to read 'em can just not do so.

My point of view is that the more nice gliders we have flying in
this
country, and the more we see gliders in the air, not in the back
of a
hangar protecting the floor from the effects of bird droppings,
the more
we might be able to arrest the progressive decline of the entire
sport
(hey, I can dream).

Cheers,
Simon

The postscript:

a) I pay for the operation of the list, and the list doesn't have
specific non-commercial charter as far as I'm concerned. There is
tendency in the post-spam world to assume that any mention of
something
commercial in any email is bad. This isn't necessarily true, and
as
above, I don't actually think its bad in the context of
aus-soaring if
what you are selling is a *glider*.

If it starts to become an issue, I can see some merit in
operating some
form of 'classified ad' + distributor 'how to find me' page,
which I'd
be perfectly happy to pay for the hosting charges on to field at
our
place, which would then let people collapse any such email here
one-liner messages quoting a URL - which is even less likely to
offend
anybody at all.

b) These days, as most (all?) of you know, I am such an agent in
my own
right ('you know you want one...') - and since that arguable
conflict of
interest exists, I'm hereby re-declaring it (and declaring a
conflict,
in my view, is the way to resolve such challenges - not to
pretend it
doesn't exist :) )

c) I'm one of those people (aren't most of us?) who do actually
read the
classified ads at the back of the magazine to see what is 'out
there',
who is moving stuff around, and what things are worth these days
in the
opinion of the 'marketplace'. I'm similarly interested in shiny
new
models of glider that might turn up, for all sorts of reasons -
again,
aren't these things exactly what *is* likely to interest most
folk on
this list (probably more likely to interest more people on this
list
than many other postings to it at times :) )

Here endeth the postscript.